Welcome to the University of Florida’s Use of University Space Website!
This website outlines the University’s regulations and policies related to space use, especially those dealing with who can reserve space and what space they are able to reserve.
The University’s primary mission is serving the educational needs of our students, student groups, faculty, staff, and related organizations; however, the University recognizes its role as a community resource. Thus, some of the University’s space may be reserved and used by anyone.
Who can use University Space?
Regulation 2.004 governs all University space. Business Affairs Use of University Space Policy creates two categories of space users.
PRIMARY USERS are the entities typically tied to the University’s educational and research mission. Primary Users include:
- Any University-recognized and officially constituted college, school, department, division, institute, center, office, or other University organizational unit
- Any University employee, except part-time student workers, when performing functions within the scope of their employment
- Any Registered Student Organization (RSO) when utilizing Space solely to conduct activities related to the RSO’s stated mission or purpose
- Shands Teaching Hospital and Clinics, Inc. and any University Health Science Center Affiliate, and their respective employees when performing functions within the scope of their employment
- Any University-certified direct-support organization (DSO) and their employees when performing functions within the scope of their employment
SELECT USERS include any individuals or groups who are not Primary Users, such as:
- Non-registered student organizations
- Individual students
- Employees using space for non-work related reasons, such as personal events and fundraisers
- Governmental entities
- General public
- Not-for-profit organizations not owned or operated by the University
- Commercial entities
What Space is available to me?
Business Affairs Use of University Space Policy creates three broad categories of University space.
› PRIMARY SPACE
includes those areas where the University carries out its educational and research mission such as instructional and administrative buildings, including the outdoor spaces adjacent to instructional buildings, that the University has not specifically designated as Select Space. Examples of Primary Spaces include:
- University buildings and other facilities used primarily for academic purposes, such as:
- Faculty offices
- Galleries and studio spaces
- Lobbies and other common areas
- University buildings and other facilities that further the University’s academic mission, such as:
- Study areas
- Medical centers
- Clinical facilities
- University buildings and other facilities used primarily for administrative purposes, such as:
- Employee offices
- Conference rooms and other meeting spaces
- Lobbies and other common areas
- Outdoor space on campus that is being used for academic purposes, including outdoor areas adjacent to academic buildings and other facilities when the proposed outdoor use would interfere with the University’s use of such buildings and facilities
- Outdoor space the University has designated as Primary Outdoor Space that is available for reservation and use by Primary Users only. Examples of Primary Outdoor Spaces include:
- J. Wayne Reitz Union outdoor areas:
- Covered area outside of the north entry doors
- North terrace
- North terrace stage
- North lawn
- Plaza of the Americas
- Turlington Plaza
- Newell Hall outdoor areas
- Ben Hill Griffin Stadium north lawn (area controlled by the University)
Only PRIMARY USERS can reserve and use PRIMARY SPACES.
› SELECT SPACE
includes reservable campus facilities, including certain outdoor areas, more typically designed for public use as designated by the University. Examples of Select Spaces include:
- Austin Cary Forest Campus
- Emerson Alumni Hall
- Florida Museum of Natural History
- Harn Museum of Art
- J. Wayne Reitz Union
- Recreational Sports facilities
- Stephen C. O’Connell Center
- Straughn Professional Development Center
- University Athletic Association facilities
- UF Historic St. Augustine
- UF Performing Arts Venues:
- Curtis M. Phillips Center for Performing Arts
- University Auditorium
- Baughman Center
PRIMARY and SELECT USERS can reserve and use SELECT SPACES.
› GENERAL OUTDOOR AREAS
include all non-reservable outdoor areas that are designated for public use (excludes Primary Outdoor Areas and outdoor areas the University has designated as Select Space) and are available on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to all applicable University regulations, policies, and procedures
University space, including General Outdoor Areas, shall not be utilized for commercial activities unless the Vice President for Business Affairs or designee grants written approval prior to such use.
PRIMARY and SELECT USERS can use GENERAL OUTDOOR AREAS.